Monday 21 November 2011

END OF MODULE SELF-EVALUATION - DESIGN SKILLS - LEVEL 4 - OUGD403

1. What skills have you developed through this module and how effectively do you think you have applied them?


I have developed many skills that i have focused into my design work. I have developed skills on typography. I have never used craft skills to develop type like we did in the first Alphabet Soup brief. I applied that to the best i could at the time, but by working with type more and more i feel i could develop the designs to became more efficient to the brief and portray them so they look more visually pleasing and effective. I have also developed some more computer technical skills. Such as using Illustrator. I had never used the programme before and by developing an individually designed typeface that relates to the works dissolve i feel that i have accomplished something. I do however feel that there is a lot more to learn to develop my skills even further. I have also worked hard on the typeface for my partner. Never designing type i have discovered a new interest. The structure to type and each section is addictive to learn. I feel i have also developed skills in the paper folding and stock department. I had never really experimented with different stocks and now i realise that stock is equally as important as the design. I have used this to develop the lats two briefs in the proverbally yours section. The use of paper folding is also extremely new to me. i had never before created envelopes or mail shots but i feel with more practice i could still further develop these skills. 


2. What approaches to/methods of idea generation have you developed and how have they informed your design development process?


By using and creating design sheets i feel that the generation of ideas as developed and constantly influenced my final designs and end products. They have made my design process more in depth and i feel i have broadened my research. I have created a lot of design sheets on different size paper to allow my ideas to be generated. The use of 'doodling' and creating little designs is worth keeping as they heavily influence the final products.


3. What strengths can you identity in your work and how/will you capitalise on these?


I have developed strengths in my design work throughout the Proverbally Yours. I feel i have branched out of the previous design ideas i had been devoting in early years. I feel my mail shots where different to many things i have undertaken. I feel that using pattern and the use of layout is now becoming a strength in my designs. I will capitalise on this by creating more designs in photoshop still. The use of creating the Partner Typeface i feel is a strength i have developed. The use of looking at shapes and devoting and crafting them into a typeface heavily interests me and i feel that with work i could look further into this aspect of design. 


4. What weaknesses can you identify in your work and how will you address these in the future?


I fee that the illustrator brief is defiantly a weakness in my work. Although not knowing the document i feel i could of enhanced y designs further so i will address this by spending time looking at the documents and programmes Adobe creates so then in the future i could develop and design better. I feel that another weakness is the way i communicate my ideas. I tend to chose symbolism and confusing ways to translate my ideas which the audience do not always understand. For instance the idea i chose for my mail shot was ported as confusing in my feedback. This needs to be worked on incredibly so that i can translate my ideas still complicated but accessible for an audience. 


5. Identify five things that you will do differently next time and what do you expect to gain from doing these?


- I will add more detail to my blog, adding images and more research and design on photo hop etc indeed of just designs sheets. I feel that i can gain more diversity and that my ideas will be clearly ported in stages from design ideas to design sheets to design developments/variation/experiments to final designs.


- I will use more wide spread ideas. The use of paper folding and finding out about screen printing and other techniques that creates your designs to become more then just photoshop ideas. 


- I will create more design sheets. The use of sketches and doodles helps me to create a wider knowledge of the subject and has i undertake. I will do more to generate more ideas. This will allow me to gain more development and allow my ideas to flow more instead of doing one design and just going with that for a final piece. 


- I will work on illustrator more. I will use my time efficiently to play around with the programme. I expect to gain a varied use of tools etc that will enhance my designs and get me ready to develop final ideas. 


- I will use my time more efficiently next time. i feel that i have completed the work but i haven't balanced my time appropriately. I feel i could have done a lot more blog work or developed my ideas further to create a more structured module. Next time i will get my head down more to allow my work to flow and create a lot of development and blog work to succeeds to my highest potential. 


6.
  

No comments:

Post a Comment