Monday 10 October 2011

ALPHABET SOUP - PARTNER BRIEF - TYPEFACE // VISUAL THINKING

I have started to develop some designs based on the research I have gathered from my research and from the ideas i have established from Nathan questionnaire. 
Experiments////
These are basic designs just developing general ideas and layout structures.
I feel the designs are way to basic for what i want to do but i feel that i could improve on them a lot more with further time and appricetation.


Braking the letter froms looks quite effective (right hand side) but i feel the designs do not communicate the actual later forms.


Using the HAPPY section form the questionnaire, i decided to create letterforms. Although they are basic i feel that they use happy in a contextual way. the use of curved lines and 'bouncy' letter forms helps to relate to this. 


These are once again just experiments that i have created. They do not sum up what i want to say but i feel it was useful creating them as it led me onto the right track.





I really feel that this letter from is quite good at looking effective but it however doesn't seem to portray the main aspects of nathan as clearly as i would of hoped. The use on sharp angels and straight lines does look effective. I think i could work on this and develop it further and maybe reach a possible outcome with this form for a design.

 DESIGN 1





I have developed these designs further. I like these but when we were in the GROUP CRIT //////// my classmates urged me to change the design as it looked to mathematical/ complex for a letter from. I agree with these comments as i feel that they create a blur over the alphabet format. 
I chose the circle in the letterform as it relates to the sun/compass shapes that i discovered from the words that nathan gave me in the questionnaire. I then used sharp lines and created sectors from the words also to do with the mind and soul section of Nathan's questionnaire. I chose to create the whole alphabet in upper car a Nathan said he liked the use of capital letters. The use of this represents the sense of power i picked up on when nathan said he he would like to have super powers. 

DESIGN 2.





I feel these designs are quite strong in relation to my work. I feel that they are a step forward in the right direction. The use of having some of the letters curved - to represent happiness - some sections blocked - to represent power and some sections on a title shows that Nathan's quirky aspects to his personality. 
I think these design could be developed once again and i feel they could be a final piece. 


THE DESIGNS WORK WELL ON THE TRACING PAPER. I FEEL THEY REPRESENT MY PARTNER WELL AS THEY RELATE TO SPACE//MODERN//AND EMOTIVE. THE USE OF CREATING HEAVIER LINE SIS TO PORTRAY THE DIFFERENT SIDES TO NATHAN. THE THINNER LESS OPACITY SIDES PORTRAY HIS SHY SIDE OF PERSONALITY AND THE BOLDER SECTIONS RELATE TO HIS BRASHNESS AND LOUDNESS SIDE OF HIS PERSONALITY. THE USE OF HAVING AND CREATING CURVED TYPEFACES RELATES TO THE HAPPINESS OF HIS PERSONALITY. I FEEL THE DESIGNS ARE QUITE UNIQUE TO MY PARTNER AS THEY DEVELOP BOTH HIS PERSONALITY AND HIS TRADES/FAVOURITE THEMES. THE USE OF CREATING 8X4 GRID FORMAT ALSO HELPS THE LAYOUT TO LOOK EQUALLY SPACED AND FORMATTED WELL. I FEEL THAT ALTHOUGH THE DESIGN HAD TAKEN ME QUITE A WHILE TO REACH, OVERALL THE USE OF A RULER AGAINST CURVED LINES WORKS WELL. 

 


No comments:

Post a Comment